[ale] [OT] clam av for windows

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 12:50:42 EST 2011

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 02/08/2011 10:49 AM, Preston Boyington wrote:
>> Avira is also a decent option.  Avira has a nag screen when it updates
>> the virus signatures (just press "OK" and it goes away) and seems to be
>> lighter on resources than AVG.  Can't speak enough about their "AnitVir
>> Rescue System" which runs from a Linux LiveCD.:)
>>
> I have just had 2 systems that I had to clean up ( again) that are
> running Avira. BOTH users continue to use IE for a browser, they won't
> use Firefox.  The one system had a W32/Blaster virus & had incredimail
> installed, and 2-3 IE browser toolbars added & the home page hijacked.
> The other system still has his browser hijacked ( I think it is a proxy
> setting..)

hmm, no issues on the computers i have Avira installed on.  although
those use FF with adblock, noscript, etc.

possibly a YMMV?

wonder if a proxy server would help those 2 systems you are having to
clean.  maybe OpenDNS FamilyShield might could help?

http://www.opendns.com/familyshield/?utm_source=nl0710&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=home

What does FamilyShield block?

     * Adult websites that are unsuitable for kids
     * Proxy and anonymizer sites commonly used by savvy kids to bypass
traditional Web filters
     * Phishing sites that aim to trick you into handing over personal
or financial information
     * Some virus-spreading malware websites