[ale] Any experts on vintage Sunrays out there?

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Wed Feb 2 22:52:09 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 09:54:36PM -0500, George Allen wrote:

> > Any suggestions on getting this going would be welcome. BTW I've tried
> > setting up SRSS 4.2 in a virtual machine running SLES 10, but I couldn't
> > get it to install because it could not find the Java version that it
> > needed.
> >

> This page looked promising:
> http://wiki.sun-rays.org/index.php/How_To_Section#Unsupported_OS_Installation_How_Tos
>
> Also, more info here: http://wiki.sun-rays.org/index.php/Command_Reference_Guide
>
> Seems like the units do want DHCP flags unless they're pre-configured
> (maybe on firmware/or by the smart card?) and the SRSS/utadm needs to
> be fed a specific subnet to push those flags to otherwise:

George,

Two issues with this approach:

1) Everything on those pages is related to the Sun Ray Server System. As I
pointed out in my original post, I didn't get anywhere trying to get SRSS
installed in a virtual machine.

2) All of the DHCP items listed are associated with the new firmware that
I'm trying to get onto the SunRay. None of it applies to the pre 2.0
firmware that my Sunray currently posseses.

I have my DHCP server set up similar to the one listed here:

http://www.mtusysadm.mtu.edu/corona/solutions/sun_ray_dhcpd.conf

Wireshark verifies that the vendor specific parameters are being issued to
the Sunray along with the IP address. But it never responds with any other
type of packet other than another DHCPREQEST. I'm expecting it to attempt
to connect to the TFTP server that's specified in the FWSrvr field. But it
never even issues a request packet.

Any other thoughts? Snipping the rest.

BAJ
--