[ale] Any experts on vintage Sunrays out there?

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 21:54:36 EST 2011

> Any suggestions on getting this going would be welcome. BTW I've tried
> setting up SRSS 4.2 in a virtual machine running SLES 10, but I couldn't
> get it to install because it could not find the Java version that it
> needed.

This page looked promising:
http://wiki.sun-rays.org/index.php/How_To_Section#Unsupported_OS_Installation_How_Tos

Also, more info here: http://wiki.sun-rays.org/index.php/Command_Reference_Guide

Seems like the units do want DHCP flags unless they're pre-configured
(maybe on firmware/or by the smart card?) and the SRSS/utadm needs to
be fed a specific subnet to push those flags to otherwise:

'-a <interface>'
Tells SRSS that the subnet attached to that interface is an
"interconnect", a subnet that is dedicated to carrying Sun Ray traffic
and that has no connectivity to any other subnets. When you set up an
interconnect 'utadm' knows that the Sun Rays will need to be told to
contact the server at its IP address on the interconnect, so that's
how 'utadm' sets up the DHCP parameters for this subnet. The fact that
this subnet is an interconnect is remembered; it's a factor when this
server tries to decide whether to offer sessions to Sun Ray units, and
it's important if this server ever needs to redirect DTUs on the
interconnect to other servers on the interconnect.

'-L on'
Tells SRSS that it's OK for this server to offer sessions to Sun Ray
units that connect from subnets that are not dedicated interconnects.
By default SRSS will offer sessions only to units that connect from
subnets that have been declared (by 'utadm -a') to be interconnects.