[ale] opening distro war arch vs ubuntu

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 14:43:22 EST 2011

You said "dev team." I would not be using Arch on a set of systems
that need to be concurrent. Arch updates often, and sometimes with
breakage (read the news on the website!).

I am a massive fan of Arch -- when used on the right system. Desktop
OS? Yes. DVR OS? Definitely. Server? Hell no. For that, I go Debian
(when I'm not forced to use the god awful hair pulling RHEL).

Ubuntu? Hate it. I have Xubuntu installed on one system -- my
Grandfather's old machine, now my Grandmother's. I had to update that
damn thing from Jaunty to Oneiric this week. It was a long,
convoluted, process. How they screwed up "apt-get dist-upgrade" with
some wackadoo "do-release-upgrade" is beyond me (before you say
"they're the same", the do-release-upgrade script expects X to be
running).