[ale] Ultimate Cell Phone remote?

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 8 10:23:58 EDT 2011

Being the Luddite that I am about portable telephone technology I'm
turning to the ale community for what might seem like easy questions.
I'm looking for an ultimate remote control for my mythtv/boxee/hulu/xbmc
HTPC.  After seeing some of the newer phones with slide out
keyboards/touch screens etc. I thought these phone would be ideal for an
uber remote.  The question I had was:  Can these phones, IPhones,
BlackBerries, generally be used without having service.  As in dedicated
use as a remote control that communicates via wifi/bluetooth?
Any ideas along these lines?  Obviously I would have to develop an app
for the platform, just feeling the waters for now.

Thanks