[ale] Streaming video for Linux?

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Tue Nov 30 17:02:07 EST 2010

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:44:18 -0500
George Carless <kafka at antichri.st> wrote:

> Paul Cartwright (ale at pcartwright.com) wrote the following on Tue,
> Nov 30, 2010 at 08:30:00AM -0500:
> > On 11/30/2010 07:48 AM, william witt wrote:
> > > 2) the 360 requires an XBox Live Gold account $70 a year or so,
> > > however streaming to the Wii does not require anything ither than
> > > a connection (neither does the PS3 if I'm not mistaken.)  So
> > > there are other options if you have other consoles.
> > >

> > is this a good reason to get a Wii??
> > can you subscribe to netflix & get movies over a Wii?
> > ( thinking Xmas present here..:)
> > I should probably talk to my son, since he HAS a Wii...
>
> Wiis are a lot of fun, but you could get a Roku box (which will
> happily play Netflix) for a lot less money, so if you just need it
> for video that's the route I'd recommend.

I have a $50 Seagate Theatre+ hd network player doo dad on its way
here.  It is supposed to stream netflix.  I'm hoping that it will play
my handbrake encoded "high profile" mkv files...

My PS3 can't play anything high profile.  We have a usb only western
digital hd player that has no trouble playing any of my mkv files.  The
guts from the PC hooked up to my projector got donated to the arcade
table we just finished building.  I'm hoping Seagate can take its
place.  It is about half the price of the western digital network
player.

I'll know in a few days how well it works! :p

I'm pretty excited to talk about my arcade table any chance I get :).
I've been blogging about it as I've been going:

http://blog.patshead.com/2010/11/cocktail-cabinet-build-part-8---painting-plexi-and-installing-t-molding.html

The blog isn't up to date yet, I have some video and pics of the mostly
completed table:

http://patshead.com/flv/Cabinet/

Pat