[ale] Boot issues - OR - why Mafia$oft hurts/disappoints everyone endlessly

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon Nov 29 14:39:18 EST 2010

Richard Bronosky wrote:
> When people complain about the price of Apple computer I tell them to
> find an equivalently spec'ed Dell (including bus speed and on proc
> cache levels) then compare. (Assuming that Apple RAM is overpriced and
> you should customized your Apple order down and order from Crucial)
> those who follow through are usually impressed. But then when it comes
> to portables... Fagetaboutit. No one come close to Apple's size
> constraints and build quality. Maybe Sony, but they are more expensive
> than Apple for lesser specs.

I agree.  The bottom line is, Apple doesn't make the low end stuff.
When I bought my daughter's Macbook Pro for her when she started at GA
Tech, her boyfriend's father purchased a Dell laptop.  The both had to
meet the minimum standards set by GA Tech, once done, The MacBook was
about $100 more, but I had purchased Applecare for it and it had a
larger hard drive. All in all, they were quite comparable systems.
(except his was running Windows (which he subsequently reloaded with
Mandriva.:)))