[ale] Opportunity for Windows Admin in PA/TN

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 10:18:25 EST 2010

I am admitting being torn about this so I am offering both an apology and my
justification.

The ALE-jobs list was formed to provide a moderated clearinghouse for job
posting that are for Linux/FOSS positions in their entirety or partially.
This position has absolutely no mention at all of any aspect of Linux/FOSS
skills being either required, desired or optional. I would normally have
replied back to the recruiter (the email was sent to me directly, NOT to
ale-jobs) with a snarky "Did you READ my resume? Do you see ANY mention of
skills like you are looking for? I don't FIX windows machine, I REPLACE them
with working Linux systems!". If there is any mention of Linux/FOSS skills,
I am far more polite and inform them I will forward their request (I have
done many of these) to the ALE-jobs list and tell them where it is and what
it's about. (The response has always been very positive!)

However, this morning I was checking email on my phone and saw the posting.
On the radio was a blurb about unemployment still stuck around 9.6%. So I
forwarded a temporary job notice that had nothing to do with Linux/FLOSS
skills at all knowing there are many ALE'rs with windows creds that this
position could benefit. I publicly hope an ALE'r gets this position and
helps bring the joy of Linux/FLOSS to the poor winders-only company.

So for those that are offended by my passing along a non-Linux/FLOSS job
posting, my humble apologies for this and any other possible future
transgressions in the same vein. Employed Linux/FLOSS enthusiasts can do
more good inside a windows-only shop than unemployed ALE'rs can do. Plus I
know we have some very talented winders-admin types that are exploring the
Linux/FLOSS world and they would benefit directly.

For those who are happy to see a job posting they are qualified for, please
don't forget you saw it on a Linux/FLOSS mailing list :-)

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.