[ale] OT: Security code on Credit/Debit cards revisited

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 12:21:01 EDT 2010

I second that.  (not that Jeff will agree with what I'm about to say)

I find it amusing that the white (if I am remembering correctly who Mike is)
guy is calling the Jewish guy racist for relating the statements of fact
related by his fraud enforcement contacts regarding the Mexican guys in
North Georgia Mexican restaurants that has mob ramifications in an entirely
different country is causing such a ruckus.

A little story from our "diversity training" that would be amusing, and then
* I recommend we let this drop for the sake of all involved.*

We had a question in our diversity class to answer.  I, a Caucasian, was at
a table with two African-Americans, a Latino, and a Jewish female.

The question (the text of which is unimportant) caused everyone at the table
to rail on how racist it would be to say such a thing to an African
American...except the African Americans themselves.  They simply could not
see that there was any racial connotation to the comments at all while
everyone else (including myself) would *NEVER* consider saying such a thing
to any African American, yet they themselves had absolutely no issue with
it.

Those not from particular race groups have become so hyper-sensitive to
issues of race that they are considerably more "hot-button" on these things
than the various involved races themselves sometimes.

This question caused us all to move to conversations of context and all
benefited greatly from the inter-race exchange that ensued.  The upshot?  We
had to shy away from such comments by corporate mandate even though the
represented race group had no issue with it because it was in the
curriculum.

Remember that Scott was told what he related to us by ANOTHER PARTY in fraud
enforcement for his card company (that is what his earlier post seems to
bear out:

*Hit send too quick, but I was told when I had been given the info about the
1st time, that most restaurant double scanning has been Mexican
restaurants at least in the N. Ga. area. It's been related to the drug
cartels in Mexico that are gaining from these thefts. Another
destination is Al Qaida but those usually are done differently and can't
seem to be localized to one area more likely to be hit. And then of
course the common criminal type of theft is 3rd in-line.
*

This may have even been law enforcement for all we know.  He was told that
this behavior was on the upswing at Mexican restaurants across North
Georgia.  There is absolutely nothing racist in the relation of that fact to
Scott, or in his attempt to help us all by pointing out that this is a trend
on the rise among Mexican restaurants in the North Georgia area, as it is a
*fact* of observation by the parties Scott was dealing with to get his own
finances back in order after being hit in precisely this way for the second
time from just such an establishment.

This issue is a red herring argument, perpetuated by hyper-sensitivity to
issues of race.  It was a non-issue and could have remained so had not a
single individual caused an issue about it.

You, fair people, have just shot the messenger, and may very well have lost
us one of our best contributors.

---
Jerald M. Sheets jr.