[ale] Maxmind

Alexander Barton abarton at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 9 21:36:45 EST 2010

Terry Bailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Given an IP, does anyone have an idea about what percent of the time
> you get a telephone area code from the Maxmind database?  Also, does
> anyone know about the accuracy of the database?
>
> Maybe, there is something better than Maxmind.

I stumbled on a page of stats for MaxMind (I think published on their
web site) where they rate how well they do.  One of the numbers, IIRC,
was that they can locate a US-based IP address to a metropolitan area
85% of the time.  That means 15% of the time it's no better than
"somewhere in the US", with no state or city given.  That agrees with my
observations of about a year ago crunching *lots* of individual lookups.
  I think they've gotten much better since then.  Then there's accuracy.
  We eventually had reason to notice that MaxMind was significantly
wrong regarding COMCAST's DNS servers.

-Alexander