[ale] OT: Learning OpenSolaris from a Linux admin's perspective

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 20:24:54 EST 2010

On 03/05/2010 04:55 PM, Dennis Ruzeski wrote:
> The Sun Big Admin site has some very sweet references to all things solaris-
> http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/home/index.jsp
>
>> From scripts to howto's and white papers. Other than that I'd just say
> load it up on a VM and play with it til you break it.
>
> --Dennis
>

> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 4:45 PM,<brian at polibyte.com>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This is a question for the ALErs who administer both opensolaris and linux
>> systems. If you used linux before you used opensolaris, what resources did
>> you find that were helpful for learning the opensolaris way of doing
>> things?
>>
>> My specific need is to administer a system used for exclusively storage
>> via NFS. I'm sure I can find lots of guides to ZFS online (although
>> pointers to particularly good ones are welcome), but I'd like to expose
>> myself to the rest of the system as well.
>>
>> All the best,
>> Brian Pitts

If you decide to do a bare metal install if you have IDE-PATA along with
SATA make sure the boot drive is on the IDE0 Master and the boot CD is
on IDE0 Slave. My MoBo only has port 0 of IDE-PATA along with 6 SATA
ports and at the time I had 2 DVD PATA and 2 HDD PATA. I had the DVDs
together on port0 and the hdds on a PCI to IDE card. It would go through
the motions of doing the install but didn't. I finally after playing
musical chairs with the 4 devices put the boot hdd on 0 as Master and
the DVD-ROM as Slve putting the other hdd on the card as Master and the
DVD-RAM as slave. However i remember having a problem with that
configuration in Linux, I don't remember what.