[ale] Server Record Keeping

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 10:00:30 EST 2010

Spacewalk is the community version of RHEL's tool "satellite server". It
does what you want. Tracks systems, hardware and software, versionning,
deployment, updates, reporting, etc. Current downside is it requires Oracle
but Postgresql is in the works. It may be ready (with Pg) as I haven't
looked at it in a while.

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Dylan Northrup <docx at io.com> wrote:

> A long time ago, (04.03.10), in a galaxy far, far away, David Tomaschik
> wrote:
>
> :=TBH, I'm not even sure what to call this one.  I'm looking for a
> web-based
> :=app that will let my department keep better track of our servers.  Right
> :=now, our documentation on updates, installed versions, configuration,
> :=hardware specs, etc. is pretty spotty.  I'm looking for something that
> will
> :=let us keep that in one place and pull reports based on almost any
> criteria
> :=(Memory in system, kernel version, IP address, mac address, etc. all come
> :=mind.)  We need a way to document when updates are performed, when
> :=configuration is changed, etc.  Does anyone know of a tool to help us
> keep
> :=such documentation?  For those of you who admin multiple servers, what is
> :=your practice?
>
> A commercial product for doing what you want to do is Opsware.  I'm sure
> you
> could add some hooks into cfengine, puppet, et. al to do updates to a
> central DB when they do their machine probes.  I haven't gone through the
> exercise, but it should be mostly straightforward (based on my experience
> with the products).
>
> --
> Dylan Northrup - docx at io.com - http://www.io.com/~docx/<http://www.io.com/%7Edocx/>
> "Adversity is just change that we haven't adapted ourselves to yet."
>    - Aimee Mullins

James P. Kinney III