[ale] Server Record Keeping

Dylan Northrup docx at io.com
Thu Mar 4 09:45:52 EST 2010

A long time ago, (04.03.10), in a galaxy far, far away, David Tomaschik wrote:

:=TBH, I'm not even sure what to call this one.  I'm looking for a web-based
:=app that will let my department keep better track of our servers.  Right
:=now, our documentation on updates, installed versions, configuration,
:=hardware specs, etc. is pretty spotty.  I'm looking for something that will
:=let us keep that in one place and pull reports based on almost any criteria
:=(Memory in system, kernel version, IP address, mac address, etc. all come to
:=mind.)  We need a way to document when updates are performed, when
:=configuration is changed, etc.  Does anyone know of a tool to help us keep
:=such documentation?  For those of you who admin multiple servers, what is
:=your practice?

A commercial product for doing what you want to do is Opsware.  I'm sure you
could add some hooks into cfengine, puppet, et. al to do updates to a
central DB when they do their machine probes.  I haven't gone through the
exercise, but it should be mostly straightforward (based on my experience
with the products).

--
Dylan Northrup - docx at io.com - http://www.io.com/~docx/
"Adversity is just change that we haven't adapted ourselves to yet."