[ale] query diagramming

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 14:26:56 EST 2010

insert into big_table (list of stuff)
select "list of stuff" from temp_table right outer join Big_ID_table right
join little_table
where stuff.value > coalesce((select value with a series of case statements
to define other other subselects),(select different value using different
case statements),0)

I don't think I'm going to spend anymore time on the graphic version and
instead just focus on the text portion.
The assumption is the possession of reading skills.

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:03 AM, William Fragakis <william at fragakis.com>wrote:

> How sophisticated are the pointy heads?
>
> Is this a basic tutorial in sql syntax or do they want to visualize more
> complex queries?
>
> regards,
> William
>
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 16:09 -0500, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > I need to make pictures of my postgresql queries fro the pointy-haired
> > boss types. I have Dia which I've used extensively to document the
> > logical flow of the application.
> > Now I need to produce a pictorial map of the logic of the actual sql
> > queries. google is not being helpful on this as I keep getting a
> > gazillion apps for making pictures of the database structure (that's
> > already done.).
> >
> > The only thing I've seen is an example of using Venn Diagrams to
> > illustrate joins.  OK. That makes loads of sense. But how do I
> > illustrate an insert or an update? Or the sub query based on date
> > string logic used as the source data for the insert's join call?
> >
> > --
> > --
> > James P. Kinney III
> > Actively in pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness

James P. Kinney III