[ale] [OT] cartoon on BP spill blame

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 18:57:25 EDT 2010

There are a couple of problems here. First, we *have* accepted aid  from
Norway and the Netherlands, as documented here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/13/AR2010061304232.html

Apparently, part of the reluctance to act earlier was that our government
gave BP its own leeway in addressing the problem. Secondly, this makes a
poor example of governments citing incompetently. The Dutch solutions being
offered are *government* solutions. The article makes this clear. The
difference is that it was a government that has the power to enect solutions
like the one described. We would never allow that here. Instead, what we had
was the task force led by Dick Cheney (of the oil industry) that met with
oil industry leaders behind closed doors to decide how the government should
stay out of the way of the oil industry. We are still living with that
legacy.