[ale] sound system

drifter drifter at oppositelock.org
Thu Jul 22 21:43:53 EDT 2010

Still fighting sound (and video) in Skype.

Found the following in the KDE "info center"

----------------------------

Sound Driver: 3.8.1a-980706 ( ALSA v1.0.20 emulation mode)
Kernel: Linux Sarge 2.6.30.10-105.2.23fc11.i686.PAE #1 SMP
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Pro 9000 at usb-0000:00:0b.1-2.1, high speed
HDA NVidia at 0xfe028000 irq 23

Audio devices: 	NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
Synth devices:   NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
midi devices:    NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
Timers:
31: system timer

Mixers:   NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

I can play my music without any trouble; both Amarok and Audacity work
well.

But why is the logitech USB camera/mic listed as the sound card?

I found alsa.conf in /usr/share/alsa but if there is a simple edit to turn
on audio, synth, and midi devices that are turned off, I couldn't decypher
it.

I'm wondering if the system is reporting to Skype that the "Audio devices
are not enabled in config," and if that might be a part of the problem.

Sean