[ale] skype

Larry Johnson larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 21:05:45 EDT 2010

I've gotten chided a couple of times for admitting that pragmatism must
sometimes win out over Free Software on a case by case basis, but on this
particular issue I'll have to take the opposite tack, and propose that you
use Ekiga, file bug reports as necessary, and help make it work.  Skype is
the  Facebook of VOIP.

Larry

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 4:09 PM, drifter <drifter at oppositelock.org> wrote:

> Skype was working well on a FC11 box.
> Ran it with the following command: artsdsp -m ./skype
>
> No longer sure what-all that command does or where I found
> it, but it worked.
>
> Upgraded to a beta 2.1.0.81 (with no choice on the download for
> the earlier, non-beta version) and now the sound doesn't work.
> Skype's options page only lists pulse-audio as a sound driver and I
> no longer have pulse audio on this box.  If it is hiding somewhere, yum -
> list can't find it.  Audio out no longer works through my Logitech
> camera/microphone. For that matter the video doesn't work any more either,
> but at least Skype seems to know the camera is there.  Tried running
> Skype with and without the extra command -- no difference: still no
> audio-out and no video.
>
> Skype's own web page has offered no help.
>

> Does anyone have any idea where the log file for this app might be hiding?
>
> Sean

"I see design standards that don't tell you how to come up with a good
design (only how to write it down), employee evaluation standards that don't
help you build meaningful long-term relationships with staff, testing
standards that don't tell you how to invent a test that is worth running."

                                     Tom DeMarco
                                      Slack