[ale] OT: Slow response

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 00:28:27 EDT 2010

On 07/07/2010 11:55 PM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 22:53 -0400, Scott Castaline wrote:
>> Just tested my changes and at first Amazon sort of responded better,
>>   but as I started switching pages in my search it slowed way down.
>>   Eventually the router went off line at least on the LAN side, not
>> sure about the WAN side. I cranked wifey's laptop nad it was unable to
>> get to the router, so I'm sure that it's not just my box or a bad
>> port.
>>
>> Is it possible that a router could go bad on just one site? It doesn't
>> make sense to me. And then what is going on with this site that causes
>> my router to behave this way? Could IPv6 be a problem? I've heard that
>> there isn't a way to kill it but I don't think this router supports it
>> anyway, at least I haven't seen anything to setup for IPv6.
>
> It is possible that the traffic patterns on that single site are causing
> more traffic than the appliance can handle for a variety of reasons.  I
> had a router once that actually needed a fan blowing on it at least some
> of the time in order to work properly; once I put it the air path from
> an A/C vent, it started working properly again.  I quickly grew tired of
> that, however, and I wound up having my home server take up the
> responsibility for doing IPv4 and IPv6 routing.

I just remembered that I've also been getting network errors when I
print to an alternate print queue stating that the printer may not be
connected and then it'll work. The default queue is fine though and it
is the same physical printer. Possibility,,,,as I ramble on.

 > Today, I have a DOCSIS 3 cablemodem that doubles as an IPv4 router.  It
> does well with IPv4 traffic (much better than the DOCSIS 2 version of
> this cable modem/router did, which was sensitive as hell), and I have my
> home server doing IPv6 routing via Hurricane Electric.
>
> That said, it shouldn't be an IPv6 issue, as Amazon doesn't publish IPv6
> addresses that I can see.

Unfortunately my last gig was back in 2000, didn't get a chance to play
with IPv6 back then. I'm the type that has to get dirty to learn, just
reading goes in one eye and out the other,,,,