[ale] OT: Slow response

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Jul 7 23:55:25 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 22:53 -0400, Scott Castaline wrote:
> Just tested my changes and at first Amazon sort of responded better,
>  but as I started switching pages in my search it slowed way down.
>  Eventually the router went off line at least on the LAN side, not
> sure about the WAN side. I cranked wifey's laptop nad it was unable to
> get to the router, so I'm sure that it's not just my box or a bad
> port.
>
> Is it possible that a router could go bad on just one site? It doesn't
> make sense to me. And then what is going on with this site that causes
> my router to behave this way? Could IPv6 be a problem? I've heard that
> there isn't a way to kill it but I don't think this router supports it
> anyway, at least I haven't seen anything to setup for IPv6.

It is possible that the traffic patterns on that single site are causing
more traffic than the appliance can handle for a variety of reasons.  I
had a router once that actually needed a fan blowing on it at least some
of the time in order to work properly; once I put it the air path from
an A/C vent, it started working properly again.  I quickly grew tired of
that, however, and I wound up having my home server take up the
responsibility for doing IPv4 and IPv6 routing.

Today, I have a DOCSIS 3 cablemodem that doubles as an IPv4 router.  It
does well with IPv4 traffic (much better than the DOCSIS 2 version of
this cable modem/router did, which was sensitive as hell), and I have my
home server doing IPv6 routing via Hurricane Electric.

That said, it shouldn't be an IPv6 issue, as Amazon doesn't publish IPv6
addresses that I can see.

	--- Mike