[ale] Any Media PC Experience

adam prozaconstilts at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 12:19:32 EST 2010

Marc Ferguson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My wife and I are considering to build a media PC. We're really excited
> about it and I'd like to see if you all have any experience with it. So
> far this is what we're considering.
>
> - No cable

so just over the air? Check the archives for discussion about getting a
good, cheap, digital antenna.

> - some sort of homebrew machine (looking for parts on Newegg.com)

I personally prefer an HTPC style case, as it fits in entertainment
centers better. If you plan to use hulu desktop (which will give you
full access to hulu's content, unlike the RSS feeds on Boxee), then you
probably want at least a core 2 duo. The flash implementation on Linux
will destroy your CPU if you want to watch full screen via hulu desktop.

Also, get an NVIDIA video card, since the drivers work better than ATI,
and HD content will need that video card power.

> - Ubuntu

Mythbuntu is a release built specifically for MythTV, and it's fairly
trivial to put menu items for hulu desktop, boxee, and XBMC into it.

> - Boxee or XMBC or MyTV (not sure, but I think we're liking Boxee the most)

If you want to record anything w/ a HDHomeRun, you'll need MythTV. You
may also want a schedules direct subscription to get programming info.
As stated above, you can launch boxee from myth very easily.

> - HD Homerun (http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun_atsc)

I love my HDHomeRun. It lets me use LIRC with basically any remote
control I choose, and is a hoss when it comes to HD content recording.

> - Playstation 3 (don't have it yet, but soon)

Use it for Netflix (if you have Netflix), separate from your myth box
(just use a separate video in on your TV). There is no working Netflix
implementation for Linux that is free as in beer, and there can never be
one that's free as in freedom, assuming netflix continues to use
Silverlight.

> - 46+" HDTV (don't have it yet, but soon)

Look for one that allows you to turn overscan on or off, as overscan can
be screwy with DVI->HDMI types of input. Look for several HDMI in. Also,
make sure that for the HDMI in, you can select the audio in to be via
RCA audio or optical audio, because if you just convert DVI to HDMI for
video, the audio will not be in the HDMI interface, but will have to
come in via a separate audio channel.

Enjoy! I loved building my mythbuntu machine. It was a major pain in
many respects, but once it gets firing on all cylinders, it's truly
amazing what it can do.

Adam