[ale] Any Media PC Experience

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 24 12:00:19 EST 2010

On 1/24/2010 11:28 AM, Marc Ferguson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My wife and I are considering to build a media PC. We're really
> excited about it and I'd like to see if you all have any experience
> with it. So far this is what we're considering.
>
> - No cable
> - some sort of homebrew machine (looking for parts on Newegg.com)
> - Ubuntu
> - Boxee or XMBC or MyTV (not sure, but I think we're liking Boxee the
> most)
> - HD Homerun (http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun_atsc)
> - Playstation 3 (don't have it yet, but soon)
> - 46+" HDTV (don't have it yet, but soon)

If no cable do you plan on recording OTA or satellite?
Boxee is great for local/internet media but I don't think it records,
nor does XBMC.
Well if HDHR you're gonna do OTA.  I have one and love it.

I have mythtv,  occasionally I launch boxee and hulu desktop from
there.  It's been working great for many a year.
Mythbuntu is a ubuntu based mythtv distribution that comes with most
things setup.
I have a modest system I built a few years ago.  I highly recommend
getting a video card that supports vdpau.  These includes the
midline 8000 and 9000 series from nvidia.  I personally have a 9500gt
with passive cooling. That has also been rock solid.

So a low power processor (65 watt max), 2 gigs ram, as much hard drive
space as possible, an hdhr, a good remote, a motherboard that has
integrated nvidia graphics, alternatively an add in pcie nvidia card.
That's it!