[ale] 64bit or 32bit

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Fri Jan 22 07:39:24 EST 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> These days, there is little reason to use a 32-bit operating system on
> 64-bit capable hardware.

Except that yesterday, in a fit of desperation to learn about and get a
price for Microsoft 2008 SQL Server and ended up at MS's main site for
this   http://Microsoft.com/SQLServer2008

It was essentially non-functional in Firefox on Linux because
I would need Silverlight to use the price matrix wizard thingy.

So I found a laptop with Vista.. (hard to find at work),
went to the same site, tried to install Silverlight and was told:

Silverlight will not work on a 64 bit browser.

Epic fail. I laughed.. Called a friend, and plugged an estimate into the
budget.

Dear Microsoft,
       Home come your flagship wiz-bang web technology won't work in YOUR
       64 bit browser? It's all the rage, you can buy 64 bit machines at
       Wal-Mart.