[ale] XFS on Linux - Is it ready for prime time?

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Fri Apr 23 13:01:41 EDT 2010

On 04/22/2010 11:36 PM, Brian Pitts wrote:
> You're making me nervous! I got a second-generation X-25M a couple
> months ago. So far, it's been great. I haven't done any real disk
> benchmarking, but bootchart shows throughput over 270MB/second, and
> booting takes less than 15 seconds. I can do tons of seek-intensive
> operations and the system never lags.

I am more disappointed than nervous...  Other than running a few
benchmarks early on, I am actually very kind to my SSD.  I don't have
any swap on there (compcache/ramzswap is awesome, btw) and I keep my
browser cache on tmpfs.

I'm not reading about high failure rates anywhere, either.  I don't like
hardware that repeatedly fails on me, though.

Both failures were fairly similar.  The first failure was after apt-get
installed a kernel update.  I rebooted.  Everything was happy during the
shutdown, but the drive was awol on bootup.

My battery died on me this time.  I plugged back in, powered up, and
there was no drive.

My gut is telling me that there is something not quite right with these
drives.  I'd feel better if there was another firmware update :p.

It is hard to beat the speed.  My old laptop was limited by its SATA
chipset to 142 MB/s read speeds.  I don't remember the exact numbers I
got on this new laptop, but I do know they were right around the limits
of SATA II.

It's the random access that is awesome.  My old laptop was stuck using
the PIIX driver and was limited to about 4,000 seeks per second.  I was
breaking 16,000 seeks per second on this laptop.

This second failure has me investigating alternatives.  The Corsair Nova
128 looks interesting.  It beats or ties the X25M on most tests and has
a better price per gig.  I might have to buy one if my X25 fails again...

Pat