[ale] XFS on Linux - Is it ready for prime time?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Apr 22 23:36:39 EDT 2010

On 04/22/2010 03:27 PM, Pat Regan wrote:
> Theoretically an SSD should be very reliable.  In practice I am having
> poor luck with my Intel X25-M.
>
> I bought it sometime around November.  It stopped being detected by the
> BIOS in my Dell laptop some time in early February.  The replacement
> drive just did the same thing, this time in my (way too) shiny new HP
> dv8t laptop.  We'll see how long the next one lasts when it gets here...
>
> I'm especially disappointed because I was thinking about adding a second
> X25 to the second drive bay in this gigantor laptop and running a RAID 0.
>
> Two failures in six months have me thinking I'd be restoring from backup
> would be occurring WAY too often.  The RMA process also has me
> questioning whether I even want to own another drive from Intel.  I had
> to call them back a second time on each failure to actually get them to
> successfully email me an RMA number.  I figured confirming my email
> address three separate times on this RMA attempt would be enough...

You're making me nervous! I got a second-generation X-25M a couple
months ago. So far, it's been great. I haven't done any real disk
benchmarking, but bootchart shows throughput over 270MB/second, and
booting takes less than 15 seconds. I can do tons of seek-intensive
operations and the system never lags.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts