[ale] ubuntu versus fedora

Larry Johnson larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 11:20:43 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
It still seems to use a special file set for
> networkmanager that then writes the real network config files. So a manual
> edit of the real config files is a very bad thing. Grrr.

Over the past few months of hunt-and-peck tweaking and repair of my
Fedora Core 11 system my perception has  been nudging toward the
assertion you've stated explicitly.  Do you know whether this is being
discussed in the Fedora community?  The ability to either use gui or
cli, or edit the configuration files directly is a big advantage of
linux systems.
If Fedora is breaking that ability with respect to networking,  it's a
bug, not a feature.

My dilemma at the moment is that my day job to contract work ratio is
about to move from 80:20 to 0:100 over the next year, so I absolutely
have to depend on both ethernet and wireless connectivity as I move
between environments.

I'm always willing to RTFM, read the bug reports, and and interact
with the community.

Larry