[ale] Update Linux alternative to Sharepoint

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 14:47:19 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Craig Button <craigb.rn at gmail.com> wrote:
> A week or so ago I posted a request for suggestions for a Linux alternative
> to MS SharePoint.  I didn’t get much in the way of responses, so I’ve had to
> do some research myself.
>

> Well I started with MS.  I downloaded demo of  MS Server 2007 and SharePoint
> 2007.  Once burned to DVD I installed it on a new leftover computer with a
> new hard drive.
>

> 1.5 hours later I had an intranet up and running, with document sharing,
> discussion board, email, calendar sharing and document collaboration.  I
> added the 25 people to the domain, and it’s been being tested for that past
> 5 days.   Easy and I never had to look at a manual or a book, it recognized
> all the hardware, took the IP address and all that kind of stuff.  Haven’t
> calculated cost yet, but we are eligible to education discount.  I figure
> this weekend I’ll look into security issues and then take the next step.
> Linux alternatives.  Oh and the VPN is through the router so I didn’t have
> to look into that kind of stuff at this level.

This is one that we were looking at. It's called Alfresco. I was
listed in Linux Pro Magazine.

http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/Alfresco_Labs_3

A review for you to look at as well

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid39_gci1323575,00.html

openSUSE -- http://en.opensuse.org/User:Terrorpup
openSUSE Ambassador
openSUSE Member
skype -- terrorpup
twitter -- terrorpup
Identica -- terrorpup
freenode(irc) -- terrorpup/lupinstein.
friendfeed -- http://friendfeed.com/terrorpup

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try.
http://www.susestudio.com