[ale] Update Linux alternative to Sharepoint

Craig Button craigb.rn at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 14:06:26 EDT 2009

A week or so ago I posted a request for suggestions for a Linux alternative
to MS SharePoint.  I didn't get much in the way of responses, so I've had to
do some research myself.

Well I started with MS.  I downloaded demo of  MS Server 2007 and SharePoint
2007.  Once burned to DVD I installed it on a new leftover computer with a
new hard drive.

1.5 hours later I had an intranet up and running, with document sharing,
discussion board, email, calendar sharing and document collaboration.  I
added the 25 people to the domain, and it's been being tested for that past
5 days.   Easy and I never had to look at a manual or a book, it recognized
all the hardware, took the IP address and all that kind of stuff.  Haven't
calculated cost yet, but we are eligible to education discount.  I figure
this weekend I'll look into security issues and then take the next step.
Linux alternatives.  Oh and the VPN is through the router so I didn't have
to look into that kind of stuff at this level.