[ale] OT: DVI-I vs The World

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sat May 30 00:27:40 EDT 2009

Richard Bronosky wrote:
> About the HDMI, it's common for video cards/chipsets, discrete or
> onboard, to carry only video. Audio comes from a different device and
> merging them, well I don't think it should be difficult but I guess
> it's easier not to. Also, HDMI does not carry any analog signal, where
> most DVI outputs are DVI-I which includes analog that can drive VGA
> with an _adapter_. Since the GPU of course is digital, an analog
> signal requires a D-to-A _converter_. So HDMI saves money (ignoring
> any technology licensing)

[snip]

> I have visited the DVI vs VGA issue before I joined ALE.
> http://www.bronosky.com/?p=54

Great blog post! I have long held that DVI-I is a fantastic interface
which we should all be pushing for rather than legacy VGA or the mess of
hdmi, udi, displayport, or whatever else they've thought up now. I'm sad
that my Inspiron 1420N came with a VGA port; the older powerbook it
replaced had DVI. What is truly bizarre are the graphics cards and
motherboards sold with one DVI and one VGA port.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts