[ale] Another nvidia question

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Wed May 27 12:39:36 EDT 2009

On Wed, 27 May 2009 11:16:48 -0400
"James Taylor" <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> wrote:

> Before I did that I had to rerun the nvidia installation after each
> kernel update, but it wasn't a big deal. It just booted into a
> command line and I could take it from there.

That's the one thing that is pretty awesome about DKMS.[1]  When
updating the kernel, you don't have to update binary modules that have
a source interface that needs rebuiding, because you can put that
module under DKMS' control and when you boot into a new kernel version,
it will check and automatically build in the boot process any such
modules you were using.

That's *really* nice, and it helps make it a lot easier to do things
like run the latest kernel on systems that use it.  Ubuntu has been
using it for a little while now (since Intrepid/8.10, I think).

	--- Mike

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DKMS

--
Enable all compiler warnings.