[ale] Reading shared folders with Evolution?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon May 18 22:16:37 EDT 2009

Ooooh. I didn't realize the folder was housed on an exchange server.
That might require a separate evolution email account to access.

It might work to use fuse to "mount" the shared folder over an imap
socket and then symlink it over to your evolution space. I don't
really know if it's possible to tunnel a mount point through an imap
connection. My hunch is the best route is to attach to that shared
folder sing a new email account in evolution but the connection is
going to be looking for a primary account of "Inbox". I don't have
evolution talking to my work exchange server as I just use the web
interface (dogmeat garbage). The last time I was connecting evolution
to exchange I recall seeing an option to search for accessible folders
for my account. If that works then a new email account will be easy.
Otherwise I'm envisioning a messy pile of spaghetti code to mate up
with exchange on a single folder.

It would likely be easier to set up a filter that autoforwards that
folder contents to your account directly.

Hmm. An smbmount over imap connection...except the mail bits are
stored in a database on the exchange server and the ONLY interface
mechanism is through the email client.

Ugh. Good luck!

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>> try adding a symlink in your ~/.evolution (or ~/evolution or
>> ~/.gnome/evolution -it moves all over) that points to the shared
>> folder. ditto on the index file.
>
> Thanks, Jim.  I'm not sure if that answers my question.  In my case
> the other user made it so that I could readd one of his outlook
> folders on the exchange server.  I don't know how to use a symlink in
> my ~/.evolution directory to the shared folder.  Do you have any
> further instructions?
>
>> I'm not sure if evolution will work for rw on group perms or if it
>> only sees user perms.
>
> I rebooted to windows, but couldn't do it there, either.  Utlimately
> he exported the folder to csv.  Outlook only crashed once before the
> export work.  :-p
>
> Michael
>
>> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is it possible to read shared folders with Evolution?  We use exchange
>>> at work, even thoughclose to half our employees use Linux.  So I'm
>>> using evolution to connect to exchange, which works okay.
>>>
>>> Someone shared an email folder with me so I can look at some email
>>> he's collected.  Is there a way to do this with evolution?  What do I
>>> need to do?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>

>> --
>> --
>> James P. Kinney III
>> Actively in pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness

James P. Kinney III