[ale] Multi-homed server networking

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon May 11 15:35:32 EDT 2009

I don't see how bonding would do what he wants.  He wants to separate
traffic - not combine it.

What we do for separate traffic (we do it for a backup LAN on GigE
network while primary is on 10/100) is simply assign the IPs to a
different <hostname>b instead of just <hostname>.  The only traffic that
can find other hosts on the backup LAN have to look for it by that
secondary name with the "b" appended.

For example:  hostname = winsuck then the secondary IP would only be
known by winsuckb.   A configuration for Samba expecting shares from
winsuck wouldn't see them from winsuckb even if they were there because
it wouldn't be looking for anything at that name.