[ale] Multi-homed server networking

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon May 11 15:25:09 EDT 2009

Oh yeah. x10 100Mbps ports... I can hear the PCI bus shrieking in
agony as the lowly 32 bit, 66MHz bus tries it's best...

(a nice table of device speeds here :-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bandwidths  - I want
hypertransport 3.1 for EVERYTHING! 52.3 GB/s

Yes. bonded then vips for ip spacing would make a nicer setup.

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Dennis Ruzeski <denniruz at gmail.com> wrote:
> What you want to do is enable channel bonding. It's a fairly easy setup
> (google 'linux bond0') and make sure your switch supports fast etherchannel
> or some other compatible trunking protocol.
>
> --Dennis
>

> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Jeff Hubbs <jeffrey.hubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a series of Linux servers that, for reasons beyond my control, have
>> only 10/100 Ethernet for connecting to their clients.  Because the servers
>> are multi-homed, however, I have the option of connecting them to each other
>> via a 10/100/1000 switch on a private IP range and that's what I would like
>> to do.  However, I don't want doing so to make this "backchannel" visible to
>> the client population in an untoward way.
>>
>> For instance, if one of the servers is a Samba server and Samba
>> listens/talks over both eth0 and eth1, I don't want machines on either eth0
>> or eth1 see the Samba server twice, i.e., once directly and again "through"
>> the server itself to the other side.  I don't want Windows or other Samba
>> clients to freak.
>>
>> - Jeff

James P. Kinney III