[ale] File System for Newbs

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 07:03:12 EDT 2009

When installing packages via means other than your systems package
manager there are a few schools of thought. The one common idea,
though, is that you don't want to install into the system paths.

If I have root level access to a machine I prefer to install into
/opt/<package>. If I do not have root access, I install into
~/bin/<package> (should probably make that ~/opt/, but *shrug* it's my
home directory).

So let's say I'm building package `foo`. Provided it comes with
autoconf build scripts, I do:

$ ./configure --prefix=/opt/foo
$ make && make install

Then I should have `/opt/foo/bin/foo`. When I decide that I no longer
want the foo package installed I merely `rm -rf /opt/foo` and remove
any path variables I had set for it.

Another option is to install to /usr/local. In this case, some would
do `./configure --prefix=/usr/local` and others would do `--prefix
/usr/local/foo`. I don't usually install to /usr/local so I'll let
someone else make the argument for it.