[ale] File System for Newbs

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 05:09:03 EDT 2009

Hi Folks,

I'd like some guidance in figuring out where do I install programs? I got
some flack from a group in a #songbird IRC channel for putting the package
in /usr/local/share/applications.  The nice one, pointed me to Red Hat docs
and from there I found my way to pathname.com.  I think I've seen this site
before, but it's a bit too long for my taste. I started to look through it
and fell by the wayside.

http://proton.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

After my reading, I'm confused. It looks like applications should be
installed in the /opt folder.  I could be totally wrong, in my thinking, but
I don't want to install apps in my /home directory.  Thanks.

--
Marc Ferguson

www.fergytech.com
www.digitalalias.net

"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"