[ale] [OT] make dsl modem visible?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Fri Jul 24 13:22:18 EDT 2009

Tim Watts wrote:
> On Friday 24 July 2009 12:31:47 pm JK wrote:
>> However, I find that even when in bridge mode, my ATT DSL modem (just
>> a modem, not a router) still serves up its admin interface on 192.168.1.254
>> (or maybe 192.168.1.1, can't remember).  And since the default route from
>> my router (a Buffalo Airstation running Tomato, but that's not relevant)
>> goes through the modem, and since my LAN is on a distinct subnet from
>> the modem (192.168.80.0/24), I have no problem hitting the modem's
>> admin interface from machines on my LAN.
>>
> OK, so sounds like you're saying I might be able to reach it if I put the
> modem and lan on distinct subnets? So if my lan is 192.168.2.0 (it is) and I
> put the modem on 192.168.1.0, then would I need to add a static route to it on
> the router? And/Or on all my lan nodes?

You shouldn't need to do anything to the router, or to any machine
on the LAN. The router has already got a default route pointed at the
modem, and it's doing NAT, so if each machine on the LAN uses the router
for its default route, you should be able to hit the modem from any
machine on the LAN.  The modem should catch and respond to traffic
to 192.168.1.1 from the router and respond to the router's public
address; and since the router is NATting that traffic, it should
forward the reply back to original source machine on the LAN.

-- JK