[ale] GP2X and toys

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Tue Aug 25 05:55:00 EDT 2009

> While you raise a good point about the rising frequency of the
> "excuses" the harsh reality is many of us already have a basement full
> of technology toys and adding to the collection is a sticking point in
> the relationship. Even when times have been flush buying a new gizmo
> is often met with the same level of disdain just due to the increase
> in geek toy count.

Michael B. Trausch gets a "daddy day care" pass, and I hope they kids are
getting a good fatherly upbringing with lots of FOSS
technological/socialogical underpinnings. Enjoy the time with the kids,
take a lot of pictures, they'll be gone, grown up, soon. :)

Oh.. yeah.. the basement... Or in my case, it used to be the "living
room". And then I got married again, and it had to look like humans
lived there (she even painted the walls!). Laughing.

One advantage to getting married (again) later in life, is when she met me
I was living in a house of techno-toys, stuffed Tux penguins, old
computers and odd movies, and at 40+ I wasn't going to change. The gun
safe in the entryway "had to go somewhere else". The toy robot collection
got cleaned up... There are many comprimises made when two+ people live
together. Heck, I even let her run Windows, although she can use Ubuntu as
well. But she's knows I'm gruff and grumbly when it comes to solving
Windows problems.

But I solved the space problem.... kinda, the business grew enough to rent
offices downtown, and sometimes even there, there are purges to the
dumpster and good causes.

almost on topic:  The people are liking the Asus EeeTop's (1.6ghz atom,
1gb ram) running Eeebuntu and Firefox. They are fast and responsive
and are easy to fit in workspaces... and I have been asked if this is
the new Microsoft OS or Mac OS (they have little to compare to).

--Mike--