[ale] Jailkit on RHEL or CentOS?

Brandon Checketts brandon at brandonchecketts.com
Mon Aug 24 16:18:13 EDT 2009

I've got it working several times, but it always seems to be a fight.  I have a
few notes at
http://www.brandonchecketts.com/archives/using-jailkit-for-chrooting-shell-accounts
but that post is a bit old.

Seems I usually end up having to strace the ssh process on the server to see
where it is failing.   I usually do this on a customer box so don't have access
to the configs anymore.

>From memory, a few things I remember having to do:
- Make sure user is in /etc/passwd inside the jail
- Make sure group is in /etc/group inside the jail
- /etc/jailkit/jk_lsh.ini (inside the jail) needs to exist and be readable
- Make sure user's home directory exists inside the jail, and that they own it
- Seems like some other file/directory permissions are kindof strict (parent
directories can't be group- or world-writable)
- I can't remember if you can try it with a normal shell first, before using
jk_lsh as your shell

I also recall trying to 'su' to a jailed user to make sure that works locally
before trying to do it via SSH.

Good luck,
Brandon Checketts