[ale] OT: Digitizing my old vinyl

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 09:44:35 EDT 2009

On 08/21/2009 09:23 AM, Ryan Curtin wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 08:55:16AM -0400, Scott Castaline wrote:
>> On 08/20/2009 10:04 PM, Daniel Howard wrote:
>>> This little ART v2 USB preamp looks pretty good, but limitations are 16
>>> bit/48 kHz sampling.  One reviewer said they wished it did 24 bit/96
>>> kHz.  I don't think my old Denon has that kind of SNR anyway...
>>>
>>> http://solodeals.com/USB-PhonoPlus-V2-ARTcessory/M/B000BBGCCI.htm
>>>
>>> Best, Daniel

>> Both you and Ryan pointed out 2 very feasible means of doing this. Ryan
>> pointed out the AMON by Infasonic which does support up to 24bit/96kHz.
>> My only concern of the AMON is the impedance of analog inputs. I don't
>> recall the output impedance of a turntable w/o preamp. Now the problem
>> with both hdwe solutions is sftwe. Can I get these to work with Linux?
>> If not, anybody know of any of these boxes that will?
>
> Oh yeah... I forgot to mention that I have not gotten the AMON to work with
> Linux.  I have a laptop running Windows floating around that I use with
> Audacity.  However, it is possible that through some level of hackery (VMs
> maybe?) you could get it "working".

Hmm, I do have an old copy of Micro$haft Window$ 2K Pro, now I'll see if
vBox will do the trick for the VM. Of course there is CrossOver. Maybe
at least the drivers may work and then go with Audacity. I'd rather stay
native Linux though. I've developed allergies to Micro$haft usage. Can't
go near wifey's laptop, have to step away from laptop. Eyes swell up
can't see ca..can't bbbreath gasp gasp,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,