[ale] AT&T DSL Support - it is a Turing Test?

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Sun Aug 16 12:53:46 EDT 2009

If I were to summarize the responses, they would tend to indicate:

A. No, I'm not talking to a Turing machine, these are real human beings
at the other end of the chat, and..
B. No, there's not a know way of getting to AT&T support people that
actually know anything about DSL.

About the 4th chat attempt they were actually willing to escalate and
send a service tech out to the house.  That's about the point that I
thought, "hey, let's try  plugging this little bugger in at the DMARC."
And it got 8810K downstream at the DMARC, and only 2700 downstream at
the wall jack.     A bit of futzing, putting a splitter at the DMARC,
and using a home-run wire to the office got that up to 8100K downstream.
I might be able to get that up to 8810 if I replaced that existing
home-run wire with CAT5.

I guess we'll see how many calls it takes to get a technician out to put
in a permanent exterior DSL splitter at the DMARC.

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd