[ale] Wow, Ubuntu...

Stephen Benjamin skbenja at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 19:52:59 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com> wrote:

> Curious why you didn't go to latest Fedora if you were already using
> Fedora?  Given the short lifetime for Fedora releases there is hardly
> likely to be anything "more modern" than the latest Fedora release.
>
> By the way Redhat/Fedora/CentOS let you do the RAID/LVM setup during
> install or not as you choose.   Why would Ubuntu require a separate CD
> for that?

It's an incredibly flawed design that it requires a second CD to do anything
outside the recommended partitioning scheme.

I wanted to have an encrypted partition for my laptop (business docs).  AND
the default is encrypting the whole system.  I tried it, just to see its
performance.  On a Core 2 duo 1.8GHz / 2GB of RAM, vmware crawwwwwls.  As
does everything else.  Nice, but no thanks.  Just swap and /home for me....