[ale] OT: Symantec subscription'Nag' screen

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Tue Sep 9 08:53:53 EDT 2008

ALErs -

A H-P Vista desktop has joined the family and (so far) does what is
expected of it. Naturally I had to toss out a bunch of apps that screamed
"Buy Me!" from time to time, but I've been grinding my teeth about one of
those I have kept, and would appreciate some pointers.

The Symantec/Norton anti-virus installation claims to have two parts: one
permanently licensed, even updatable, and the other "anti-phishing"
protection which had a 30-day update subscription. This subscription has
now expired.

Every day or so I get a "nag" screen recommending I renew the
subscription, with only two options in the pull-down: 'Renew Now' and
"Remind Me Later'. *(__)$$##(*&^!!

I would like to dump the anti-phishing and its nag, and keep the long-term
AV part installed. I haven't turned up any clear answers on net searches,
nor (naturally) from Symantec.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

TIA.

  - Mills