[ale] mobile updates to website [OT]

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 12:26:47 EDT 2008

aaron wrote:
> The live web journal map tracking cycle trip sounds way cool!

it is starting to come together pretty well.  i might not have
everything in place by this ride, but this will give me some good
experience for the "kick off" spring ride (some people stop riding when
it is cold.  i guess i'm not just a "fair weather rider").

after i get most of it down i will share what i used and how on my site.
   since i can't really contribute code wise to anything i try to help
out in other ways.

heck, in Daytona last year for Bike Week i met some bikers from west
Texas.  during the course of the weekend i overheard a cell call with
one (he was beside me at the bar) talking to someone about updating
their BSD servers.  afterward we had many beverages and argued over
distro's much to my friends amazement. :D

> Of course, they didn't have no inter-web toobs back in 1983,
> the year my life partner and I drove a couple of motorcycles
> -- a 1959 BMW R69 and a 1980 Yamaha 850 -- on a 10,000 mile,
> 3 month, coast to coast loop across the US and Canada.

ok, i am envious.  i REALLY would like to do something like that in the
near future.

> We knew if our budding relationship could survive that trek, it
> might even be able to weather parenting! (We're still together
> 25 years and one college graduate daughter later.)

lol, well I've always heard that if you want to really know someone to
take a road trip with them.  i'm going to be putting it (somewhat) to
the test with my rider.  we'll see how she fairs by day three. i've
already got her enjoying her linux laptop and riding motorcycles so
things are looking up. :)

> But the thought of a fall weekend ride has me pining. I have
> GOT to get one of those antique BMW's in my garage running
> again!  Now that the kid is through college, I am SOOOO ready
> to ride!

quit putting it off!  there's always going to be "something" that comes
up.  send me some pics of the bikes when you get a chance too.

preston