[ale] KDE 4.1 fun

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat Nov 15 17:44:42 EST 2008

On 2008, Nov, 15, , at 2:01 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:

> Mac users don't/can't use a keyboard.
> UI design is driven by Apple gui.
> Thus everyone gets a moderately crappy interface.

Pretty broken logic there, Jim;  lots of assumptions not in
evidence.

Agreed that pre-BSD Macs, due to no shell access and their
over simplified "One Button Mouse" thinking, would quickly
turn user friendly into user handicapping, but the Apple
systems have evolved into very user empowering and elegant
computing tools with OSeX.

There is a lot of smart functionality in the OSeX GUI
(-: much of it reminiscent of Amiga GUI features :-) that
other systems would do well to emulate.  For starters, the
single, context relative application menu bar that resides
at the top edge of the screen (just like Amiga); no redundant
menu lists eating up real-estate in every program window, and
screen edge GUI gadgets have the advantage of "infinite" size.

Amiga had one cool 2 button feature that no one else has done
where you could select multiple drop down menu choices at
one pull, though this may have been a patented functionality
which would explain it not being commonly employed.

There isn't much I find missing or unfamiliar jumping back
and forth between Gnome and OSeX, especially after finding
a nice, stable multiple workspace utility that I've been
using with OSeX 10.3 and 10.4. And 10.5 even has that
feature covered.

peace
aaron