[ale] OT:email

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Sat Nov 8 18:57:06 EST 2008

On Saturday 08 November 2008, Jim Sculley wrote:
>snip (Intersting as well...)
> An email with a 12/31/1969 timestamp is probably just a malformed
> timestamp value, parsed to the default date 1 second prior to the
> epoch.  The message is likely SPAM and may have the timestamp set
> deliberately, to exploit some problem in Thunderbird making it
> difficult to delete (speculation).  I know I had one or two of these
> 12/31/1969 messages in the past, but I don't remember how I got rid of
> them.

Use KMail for 99% of my mail, so I have never encountered the exact same
problem as the OP. Do occasionally have empty messages that KMail barfs
on and will not retrieve from my ISP's server. Nor will it retrieve any
of the other messages until that one is gone. Pain to go to the web-mail
interface and find it, so I usually just download everything with another
client then export / import them to KMail. Surprisingly KMail has no
problem displaying (or deleting) them and even filters them as spam once
imported.

Goes in spells, will get several over a few days then none for weeks. Has
been happening for well over a year and my daughter has the same problem.
Usually at the same time I am. Even spans differing versions of KMail.

Anyone else seen this and have a better solution?
--
William