[ale] VMWare ESX shared disk?

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Fri May 23 00:23:42 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 11:22 PM, Ashley Wilson
<awilson at smartfurniture.com> wrote:
> I would be disinclined to set up file sharing on the ESX host os.  I recommend setting
> up a VM with NFS sharing, which ESX has a client built in for.  That way you can
> throttle the NFS server so if it starts acting crazy, it won't pig out on all of your
> resources.

Well, this is for a bunch of web servers.  Basically a new VM is
created as capacity increases.  Each VM will read (not never write)
files from the share.  So, if the share is busy, it's an overall
traffic problem.  NFS is just not going to be allowed on these
webservers. ;-)

-Jim P.