[ale] dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Wed May 7 16:52:15 EDT 2008

This is interesting to read because I just put Ubuntu 8.04 on a quite
new mobo with built-in Radeon and wound up with a blank screen.  It
improved things to let the livecd boot all the way and then hit the
"install" icon on the desktop - I got a useless scrambled screen - but
it all sorted out when I renamed xorg.conf to get it out of the way and,
ta-da, working X.

Now my issue is that I am supposed to add a section to an xorg.conf that
I don't even have in order to support a Wacon pen tablet.

While the livecd was up, I copied off the apparently working xorg.conf
so that I could re-use it, but I'm concerned that it doesn't know
anything about the proprietary Radeon driver that Synaptic prompted me
to let it install.

- Jeff