[ale] printers

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed May 7 12:15:03 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 11:23 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> ok, so this has probably been beaten to death numerous times.. My wife
> thinks
> we need another printer.. my workhorse Epson 880 is having issues...
> blue
> lines across the pages...
> I saw a really neat Lexmark Wireless at Sams, X7550, but it looks like
> paperweight for Linux.
> I need a cheap, workhorse day-to-day printer that won't eat my alive
> with
> cartridge costs.. would be nice if it worked with Linux,
> networking/wireless
> is even better, but not necessary. I was able to share my HP 8510
> photo
> printer, so my wife can print from her laptop, but I sorta want to
> save that
> one for photos... and those cartridges aren't cheap!
> I've had good luck with the Epsons, but they aren't the best for
> linux..

Does it need to be color?  If so, you might want to check out the
Lexmark C530n laser printer.  It's available for under $400, and has
listed for system type, "Apple Macintosh|Linux|PC|UNIX".  :)

It does 22ppm color, 24ppm B&W, and supports the following types of
input:

  * PCL 5e
  * PCL 6 (PCL XL)
  * PDF
  * "Personal Printer Data Stream" (whatever that is)
  * and PostScript Level 3.

I have been very happy with Lexmark laser printers.  Their ink-jet line
is utter crud when it comes to printing under Linux, but they know what
they're doing when it comes to laser printers.  (I presently have an
E240 model from them; it's just a small black & white, PCL XL,
non-duplexing printer, but it's nice for frequent usage.)

And yes, I _would_ have the C530n, if I had the magic $400 it would
take.  It's far cheaper than buying ink-jet ink.  I _do_ plan on having
it (or its successor model or something similar, if it disappears) by
year's end.

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us
home: 404-592-5746, 1                                 www.trausch.us