[ale] [OT] Mojave Experiment

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Jul 30 15:19:04 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 12:44 -0400, Forsaken wrote:
> Well obviously, they had to test to make sure the DVD drives actually
> worked. What better way to do it than replacing the entire OS?
>
> Actually this is good to know. My parents have a pair of those same
> laptops. Now I can warn them to back their stuff up if they ever send
> it in for repair

They could use the Windows Preinstallation Environment.  If it doesn't
boot...

As far as backing things up before sending equipment in for repair, I
generally recommend that, plus using something like DBAN, and then
reinstalling the operating system before even shipping it out for
service.  I have no desire to permit people to sift through data that's
not theirs.  Most people just do the reinstallation and think that the
data is gone... but it's not; usually it's only (poorly) written over.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.