[ale] Since we're on the subject of jobs lately

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Wed Jul 16 12:54:48 EDT 2008

JK wrote:
> Jeff Lightner wrote:
>
>> how often we'd pass on them.   The "I wouldn't have wanted to work there
>> anyway" comment I've seen here a couple of times sounds a lot like "I
>> didn't want the grapes anyway, they were sour" to me.
>
> I truly only meant that if the people who make hiring decisions for
> development work are not making those decisions primarily on technical
> merit, then it probably isn't going to be a very nice place to work.
>
> Of course, it's a good idea to make a good impression, but I don't think
> it's necessary to "dress to impress".  "Dress to blend in" is IMO a
> better strategy, more comfortable for everyone involved.  Personally,
> I'm a little put off by people who dress ostentatiously, but OTOH I'm
> not making any hiring decisions.

A valid point.  Although I have advocated wearing a tie to an interview,
I can recall making assumptions about people when they showed up in
suite and tie, verses those who showed up in a nice pair of pants and
button up shirt.

On the other hand, I don't think a person's clothing ever had any impact
on my decisions, outside of one guy who showed up in a dirty t-shirt and
blue jeans.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin