[ale] Since we're on the subject of jobs lately

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Jul 16 10:22:58 EDT 2008

Well obviously there are 2 sides in an interview.  But if I'm taking the
time to bother going to an interview at all it means that on the surface
anyway the job looked interesting to me.   There has been more than one
job that I successfully got an offer from but decided during or after
the interview that it wasn't a good fit for me so declined the offer.

It amuses me that so many think the tail wags the dog rather than the
other way around.   I remember back during the boom days of IT how many
people came in acting as if they were doing us a favor by showing up and
how often we'd pass on them.   The "I wouldn't have wanted to work there
anyway" comment I've seen here a couple of times sounds a lot like "I
didn't want the grapes anyway, they were sour" to me.

Having worked in the 70s, 80s, 90s and the new millennium I know that
the economy has ups and downs and pretending you're above it all is a
great way to insure you are more impacted by the downs.   Many folks
during the tech bust thought jobs were "beneath" them.  I have more
respect for an IT genius flipping burgers at McDonald's than I do for
the IT so-sos that sit on their derrieres collecting unemployment for a
year.